The big Five-O! On this milestone episode we go over the new gaming releases of Forza: Horizon 4, and Assassin’s Creed: Odyssey. Both games are the latest entries in long running popular series. We follow that up with a discussion about the new MCU movie release, Venom; As well as the recently released The Predator.
How do Forza: Horizon 4 and Assassin’s Creed: Odyssey both follow up strong previous entries to their respective series. How do they fare?
Both The Predator and Venom are long beloved franchises with passionate fans. Do the new entries do them justice? Can we finally move past the disaster that was Predators and Topher Grace’s awful Venom? Does Venom make good on it’s record breaking box office performance?
It’s all capped off with a new edition of our Deadliest Character segment. This week we pit Venom against Predator. How does the ultimate galactic trophy killer fair against the ultimate symbiote?
- Forza: Horizon 4: All the incredible audio, visuals, and performance from the Forza series with the fun of an open world. What’s not to love? First things first, this game is beautiful. Running on an Xbox One X it clearly takes advantage of all of the 4K goodness. From the look of the cars themselves to the massive difference between seasons, it doesn’t pull any punches. This entry has added some much needed destructibility as well as a larger emphasis on online play. For any Xbox or PC gamer, it is a must have; A very needed break from the intensity of other new releases. Plus, it comes as a part of the Xbox Game Pass subsription.
- Assassin’s Creed: Odyssey: The previous game, Origins, saw a return to form for the Assassin’s Creed franchise. While Odyssey has some large shoes to fill, so far it definitely delivers. It takes all the fun of Origins and add an amazing deep dive into Greek Mythology. How can you not like a game that starts you as King Leonidas at the battle of Thermopylae? Improved combat, graphics, and sailing, among many other things, make it a can’t miss. Do yourself a favor and pick it up.
- The Predator: Let’s be real for a second, after Predators, this franchise had nowhere to go but up. That being said, The Predator was a very uneven and confusing entry to the series. It started off ok, but quickly went off the rails trying to retcon the whole Predator universe. The writers/directors took a pretty strong and interesting cast and really didn’t know how to utilize it. It was a weird mix of enjoyable scenes followed by too many that leave you thinking “what the hell?” While I would say it’s worth seeing for long running fans, keep your expectations low and you might just enjoy it.
- Venom: With a 30% critic score and 88% audience score on Rotten Tomatoes, is Venom actually a good movie? Yes, it has been very successful in theaters, but with an MCU movie isn’t that a given at this point? It’s an odd movie in that you can see where there could have been a successful film, but it can’t get out of it’s own way. An uneven script paired with some performances that leaving you wanting doomed it from the beginning.
- Featured Segment: Deadliest Character: This week’s matchup is a battle between Predator and Venom. Does Predator’s obvious technological advantages put it ahead of Venom? Can an alien trophy hunter realistically kill an ever changing and adapting symbiote? John and Mark debate and discuss who they’d put their money on.